I have decided to document a few posts about the philosophy of music. So – to get things going – here are a few questions I am currently thinking about. I would be interested in any responses
Do you agree or disagree with the following questions about music
- Although appearing as a ‘product’ – it must also be considered as a process?
- It is separated in some way from the everyday world of experiences?
- It is made – it does not just happen?
- Although it can be replicated in recordings, it cannot be recreated in exactly the same form?
- It should have the capacity to please?
- It is created for humans – to be experienced through the senses (mainly the ears)?
- It has unity and somehow seems complete (unless it has been abandoned)?
- It is created from the perspective of the composers’ perspective of a vision of ‘the whole’?
- Music becomes mediated the moment our mind listens to sound?
The main things I am considering at the moment, is what is the ontological (the Being) factors of music I am listening to – an how can I get to ‘know’ it (epistemology). In coming weeks i will get into far more depth about this, but for the moment – time to listen to more music!!