I got some good news this week. Over the last couple of years or so I have been working on developing a Foundation Degree that facilitates anyone working within the music industry to gain credit for the skills they already have, in addition to building on their skill base weaknesses in both the classroom and the workplace.
Well – that qualification is now a reality (subject to validation)! I have recently obtained funding from the European Social Fund that basically provides the finance for a select number of Welsh based musicians to undertake this qualification, providing they comply with the following criteria.
- They live and work in one of the convergence areas of Wales
- They have enough experience within any area of the music industry – that would enable them to gain at least 60 university cat points. (See * below) via Accreditation for Prior Learning
- They are prepared to study part time on the Foundation Degree for around a year and a half – at the same time as working.
Once your studies are finished, you will have the qualifications to move on to the final year of a degree, or simply use the qualification to improve your current working practices. After a degree is finished, you can also progress onto a post graduate qualification such as a Masters or PhD, or even a teaching qualification!
As stated, these places are free and the course is designed to be undertaken at the same time as working, saving successful candidates a great deal of money. The first 15 places will commence in South Wales in September 2011. Places are very limited and will be offered progressively over a three-year period.
This is just an initial post to inform interested parties of the qualification, but I will post more information over the next few months when it becomes available.
Can I suggest the following
- You ‘like’ this Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FoundationDegree). I will use it to keep interested parties up to date with progress
- If you are interested in a place, or would like to discuss specific details – get in touch with me on email@example.com
- Share this information with anyone you think may be interested (please).
* This programme is designed for any occupation in the music industry – including, but not limited to, self-employed musician, instrumental teacher, music retail, small record labels, technicians, promoters, managers, etc, etc, etc.
So in short:
- The qualification will cost the company/employer nothing!
- Up to 50% of te qualification can be gained based on previous experience.
- 25% of the qualification is based in the workplace.
- The taught units focus on music industry knowledge and entrepreneurship.
- Provides the basis to progress onto the final year of a degree, but this aspect has to be paid for.
- You must live and work in a convergence area (see map above)