OK. This week’s musicology session examined the techniques employed by Phil Tagg – on of the most influencial musicologists when it comes to popular music. The powerpoint is included below, but the key questions I am asking the students to focus on include
- Finding an analysis object
- Identifying some ‘parametres of musical expression’
- Describe a couple of musemes
- Indentify 3-4 ‘inter objective comparison materials’ (music that sounds like the original track)
- Identify emotional responses to both the ‘analysis object’ and the ‘inter objective comparison material’
Sounds complicated, but its not. I think one of the most useful things that come out of this is for the musician to consider why they respond to music in specific ways, and to consider the the emotive response is personal or universal.